Sunday, February 4, 2007

The Return Trip from Mugumu


I am a few days late on my blog so I am telling you of things that happened that much time ago. But I can’t miss telling and showing you this stuff because it interests me and therefore I think it might interest you too.

I had hoped the trip back from Mugumu would be easier than the trip there; and on the way back I purposed to take pictures of the mud holes. Well the trip wasn’t any quicker, and I didn’t get pictures of many of the mud holes, but I did get a couple of the big one. Mud holes are deceiving. Sometimes they look uncross able and turn out easy. Other times they look easy and then watch out . . .


I’ve heard of worse—water over the hood of the car and such (have you seen the pipe that goes up the side of the land rover from the hood? That’s so that the engine can get air when the car is submerged (!)). But on the way back we crossed swollen streams that I thought would have the potential to carry us away. I guess our Land Cruiser was better than I expected. (Though I wasn’t sure about our driver.) Some mud holes were easier for smaller vehicles, but large ones had a lot of trouble. Such was the case at this crossing. What the picture does not show was the ten or more other large trucks that were waiting to cross, had crossed, or stuck in the mud. I never saw this one get out although I’m sure they figured something out.


We took breaks on the journey as well and stopped again in Ikizu, where we were entertained by a group of school children just freed from their studies. It’s rare that foreigners go through this town, much less white ones so we were quite the attraction. Sheila made herself at home and tried to teach some of the kids English and Math. We’ll never know what affect she had on the students, but it was fun to watch!

Once we were back in Mwanza it was pizza for the night at the local pizzeria and then a good night’s rest before we were off to the airport. Two went to the ‘States; three spent a day in Nairobi and then off to the ‘States; and I was off to Dar to meet Dave and Bonnie Jones, who would let me borrow their truck for my trip to Morogoro. More on that later.

For the Harvest,
Phil

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great stories...keep them coming. Exciting to see and read all that is going on there.

All is well at The Mill. Sam did a great job again yesterday...btw, you're going to need to polish up your powerpoint skills if you want to keep up! ;-) Seriously, it's been a blessing to have him, but we're of course anxious to have you back home among us and in the pulpit.

Be well and travel safely.

PS -- Not that I've ever heard you complain about the gravel roads in rural Collin County, but I'm guessing that they're practically like streets of gold compared to the ones you've seen these past two weeks!

Phil said...

That is the truth! Even in the city of Dar there are some really bad roads.

As for Sam's powerpoint--he holds the record. I cannot touch it.

Thanks for your prayers.

Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.